Kanazawa Castle served as the residence of the powerful Maeda lords from 1583 to 1869. Maeda clan was a feudal domain that ranks second to the Tokugawa clan as regards to wealth and size.
In the long run, it had survived a conflagration on 1759, and again on 1881. The original structures remaining is the castle's monumental gateway, the Ishikawa-mon gate.
The castle's notable features are the two turrets (Hishi and Tsuzuki Yagura) connected by a long storehouse called Gojukken Nagaya. The main castle keep wasn't rebuilt since 1602.
Adding beauty to the castle is the newly-built Hashizune-mon Gate and the Gyokuseninmaru garden.
In addition, Kanazawa Park is just 3-5 minutes away from Kenroku-en.
Kanazawa Castle Park and Kenroku-en is accessible via Kanazawa Loop Bus (stop numbers LL9 and RL8) and the Kenrokuen Shuttle Bus (stop number S8), from Kanazawa Station
Alternatively, the castle park can also be reached via Hokutetsu buses, running between Kanazawa Station (East Exit bus stop number 3) and Kenroku-en. Alight at Kenrokuen-shita bus stop.
The castle grounds has no closing days, and open from 7:00 to 18:00 (March 1 to October 15) and 8:00 to 17:00 on October 16 to February. Entrance is free, except for Gojukken Nagaya Storehouse and Turrets (310 yen).
Here at Pop Japan, we pride ourselves on being one of the most passionate promoters of our nation. It is our strong belief that Japan has the ability to offer anyone a very fulfilling life.