Eikan-do is a Buddhist Temple of Jodo allegiance founded on 863 AD, and was originally named as Zenrin-ji. It is formally called Shojuraigousan Muryojuin Zenrin-ji. The name Eikan-do has been followed from Eikan, whose real name is Yokan Risshi, a monk who devoted his life to the poor and has built a hospital in the temple precincts.
The monk, who turned to be the 7th head of the temple has deduced his vocation by meeting Mikaeri Amida Nyorai. The deity, known for the sculpture with head turned sidewards, is housed within the temple.
The maple trees with red and golden foliage accents the entire temple complex during autumn, the best season to visit.
Sen-Oku Museum, the house of a large collection of Chinese bronze vessels, Chinese and Japanese mirrors, and a few Chinese bronze Buddhist figures, is neighboring the temple; roughly 10 minutes away from Eikan-do. It is also within the proximity of Nanzenji, the Philosopher's Walk, and Ginkaku-ji Temple.
Eikando Temple is 15-20 minutes on foot from Keage Station (Tozai Line), which is 20 minutes away from Kyoto Station. Alternatively, it can be accessed via bus ride from Kyoto Station (35 minutes by Kyoto City Bus number 5), and alight at Nazenji-Eikando-michi bus stop.
The temple is open all throughout the year, from 9:00 AM to 17:00 (admission until 4:00 PM). The temple extends until evening for autumn illuminations. Entry costs 600 yen (autumn daytime: 1000 yen, autumn nighttime: 600 yen).
Here at Pop Japan, we pride ourselves on being one of the most passionate promoters of our nation. It is our strong belief that Japan has the ability to offer anyone a very fulfilling life.